Insulation Rockwool Rockfasad 100x600x1000 mm 1.2 sq.m. Photo Petrovich
Today the market presents a wide range of thermal insulation materials, which is often Comprehensive choice for customers. Potential buyers There are questions about the characteristics of advantages. , feasibility of using insulation to solve certain problems. To determine which material is better and for what reasons, the main properties and positive parameters of the most sought-after materials should be compared.
Description what kind of materials
Before you begin to analyze the properties and characteristics of insulation, it should be determined that materials are presented. Buyers who are going to compare basalt and mineral wool often do not recognize that the question incorrectly formulates. Since the concept of "mineral wool" according to GOST 31913-2011 includes basalt wool, and more glass and slag, each of the materials is made from a certain type of raw materials on a specific technology:
- Basalt (stone) wool It is a universal heat and sound insulation material, the initial raw material for which the melt of mountain gabbro-basalt rocks is served, the fractions of which melt in the furnaces at a temperature of about 1500 degrees, the resulting mass is cooled and mixed with the binding components, resins protrude in their roles.
- Glasswater - A popular material intended for thermal and sound isolation is used to produce glass fibers, the same raw material is used as for the manufacture of glass (quartz sand, lime and soda), or waste from glass production, as a result, the insulation is distinguished by a relatively low cost.
- Shagkovat - The material is used to insulate the buildings of various purposes, smooth and rounded surfaces, is carried out by processing a domain slag, which is the waste of the metallurgical industry in the manufacture of cast iron, in the microfiber. Recently, the material is used inactive, since it is inferior in the properties of analogs.
Next, we will try to present information about three types of fibrous insulation, despite explicit differences, slapted from two other varieties, which puts it a mansion. In addition, potential buyers of thermal insulation materials should be felt and remember that some experts and customers themselves under the concept of "mineral wool" imply exactly glass gamble.
Advantages and disadvantages
The resulting raw material, the production technology used by the equipment - parameters affecting the positive and negative parameters of each material. Basalt Wata has the following advantages:
- Resistance to open fire, influence of chemicals, coming and peeling,
- Low water absorption level
- long service life
- Low thermal conductivity coefficient
- Easy installation,
- low weight
- convenience of transportation,
- Environmental purity
To the cons of the stone insulation It is possible to take the high cost and the need to abide care when laying, as the particles secreted during cutting and installation, entering the skin and mucous membranes, can cause allergies and irritation, the use of protective equipment is necessary; Connecting seams formed during installation, after a while they contribute to a decrease in thermal insulation properties; In the heater, rodents can arrange a dwelling.
Insulation Basalt Isobox Extlillage-31 100x600x1200 mm / 4,32m2 / 0.432m3 / 6pc. Photo of Stroyland
The main advantages of glass gambles include:
- Excellent thermal insulation properties,
- Low water absorption coefficient
- convenience of transportation and installation,
- Resistance to fungus and mold,
- Low specific weight
- Safe for human health.
Glasswater has a large number of shortcomings than its analogue based on basalt : High hygroscopicity, a short period of operation (not more than 10 years, after which the material due to the shrinkage ceases to perform thermal insulation properties), the installation is necessary for the use of protective equipment, low resistance to the effects of chemical components, attractiveness for rodents.
Slagovat, actively used in the Soviet Union, is now applied quite rarely. Unpopularity due to a number of shortcomings:
- High percent of the residual acidity of slag,
- Low resistance before temperature drops,
- good moisture absorption
- Buckle and fragility of fibers,
- Limited scope of application is not recommended to use in rooms and buildings with high humidity, in wooden buildings, since with wet material is subjected to rotting.
As a result, slag materials are now being used in temporary type buildings.
Thermal insulation URSA GEO M-11F 12500x1200x50mm follicate fiber-based follicate. Photo Maxidom
But slag Possesses and positive properties:
- low cost
- high sound absorption coefficient
- ensuring good thermal insulation,
- Easy installation,
- Long service life, but subject to the absence of moisture and high temperatures.
Thus, fibrous materials have both similar and different characteristics. Some parameters should be considered in detail, indicating specific values, which is done further.
What is different, the list of differences, the difference in characteristics
The cost of materials and the price of execution of work (if the installation is carried out not by the independent efforts of the buyer) It is an important characteristic . Presented earlier list of advantages demonstrates high quality insulation, so the price of materials cannot be low. We will not give certain values, since The cost of materials from different brands and different suppliers may differ.
Basalt insulation Izovol L-35. Source photo here
We only note that the price for basalt insulation exceeds the cost of materials based on glass and slag by 20 and 50-60% respectively. The cost of work is the same, does not depend on the type of materials, especially since the installation is possible and with your own hands. Manufacturers complete with thermal insulation materials implement and installation instructions. Open access has many advice and recommendations from specialists.
Durability, service duration
Service life is an important characteristic. Warming of buildings of various purposes is carried out for a long time, so owners need reliable and durable materials. Duration of the insulation service and the ability to save its own properties Depends on the quality, cost and manufacturer. Experts argue that artificial fiber materials will not serve over 35 years. After that, they dry and destroy, lose thermal insulation properties. Insulation based on natural raw materials can serve a longer period of time. Manufacturers and experts provide the following information:
- Basalt Wool is 40-50 years old Some sources call a number of 80 years;
- Glasswater retains its properties For 8-10 years, The service life can reach 25-40 years, but the material at this time ceases to perform its own purpose;
- Slotovat can also Listen to a long time - up to 50 years, But in compliance with some conditions, in particular, the lack of impact of moisture and high temperatures.
The thermal conductivity is one of the key characteristics of materials used for isolation. Parameter Displays the coefficient of thermal conductivity which represents the amount of heat that the material can be carried out per unit of time. In this way, The lower the value, the smaller the amount of heat conducts material And fewer cold air will be indoors, which will save on heating. The coefficient is indicated by the Greek letter of the lambda, is measured in Watts on meter-Kelvin - W / (M · K).
Basalt insulation isoroc superteply 100 mm 3.05 sq.m. Photo Lerua Merlen.
It should be remembered that the indicator depends on the thickness of the fibers and density as a result The thermal conductivity coefficient of mineral materials is:
- Basalt wool - 0.032 to 0.048 W / (M · K);
- Glass - 0.038-0.052;
- Slag - an average of 0.46-0.48.
Thus, all materials have a low thermal conductivity coefficient and perfectly perform their own destinations. As a result, when comparing three varieties of materials, you should pay attention to other characteristics.
ParPromability - the ability of walls with the insulation "breathe" is an important property for insulating materials. This feature is avoids condensate Between the layers of the wall sandwich, which in turn can lead to the formation of mold, fungus, unpleasant odors. In accordance with this indicator, basalt wool is inferior to glass, 0.4-0.7 m · h · Pa against 0.3. However, in this case, digital values do not play any role. Another conclusion is important - Both materials are vapor permeable. The Slag Cutter will not be able to provide, there is no information in open sources.
In accordance with this indicator, the record holder is basalt wool. Materials based on rocks of volcanic origin possess almost zero hygroscopicity What allows them to be used without restrictions on environmental humidity. Fiber do not absorb moisture, And the binders of components (resins) act as a hydrophobizer and repel water.
Basalt insulation 1.2x0,6m, thickness - 10 mm. Photo Heatarket
As a result of the experiments conducted (basalt wool mats immersed in water for 24 hours) absorbed only about 0.095% water . The coefficient of water absorption of stone wool (when it is in a wet room) does not exceed 2% . Thus, the stone wool is perfect and actively applied to the insulation of baths and san, facades, foundations.
Glass and slag wools can not boast of characteristics. Materials are active absorb moisture from the air , which leads to the deterioration and loss of thermal insulation properties, under these conditions, the exposure of insulation shrinkage is manifested. Sorption moisturizing per day Glass and slag is 1.7 and 1.9%, respectively.
All three analyzed mineral insulation well tolerate contact with chemical compounds , among other things, contained in plastering and installation solutions, paints. If we talk about specific indicators, it is possible to bring the following values:
- Chemical resistance in water for slag, glass and stone wool is 7.8; 6.2 and 4.5% weight loss / mass;
- in an alkaline medium - 7; 6 and 6.4%;
- in the acidic medium - 68.7; 38.9 and 24%.
Thus, basalt wool in accordance with these characteristics (in two of three) is the best option.
Density and mass
These characteristics are closely interconnected. The more dense material, the greater weight it has on insulated structures, but at the same time and the best strength, sound and thermal insulation properties has. Manufacturers offer a wide list of insulation with different density indicators , To solve any tasks.
Basalt insulation Paroc Extra Smart 50x600x1200 mm 7.2 sq.m. Photo Petrovich
Materials with certain values are suitable for insulation of specific structural elements of buildings, for example, basalt materials are suitable for the insulation of walls with a density of at least 60 kg / cubic meters.
The density of basalt insulation fluctuates from 15 to 300 kg / cubic meters. ; glass - 11-200. ; slag - 75-400 . However, with the same sizes, the stone wool has greater density and weight, in comparison with mineral insulation, the value exceeds twice.
Resistance to fire
In accordance with the fire resistance materials They are divided into several classes: From non-combustible (marking NG) to strongly flammable or capable of ignited by himself (G4). Mineral insulation (three varieties) relate to non-combustible materials. But stone wool is able to withstand higher temperatures - up to 1000 degrees (Different sources offer different indicators, as the value depends on several factors, in particular, from the manufacturer / brand), without changing the structure and properties.
Alternatives based on glass and slag do not contribute to the spread of fire, but without loss of their own characteristics, less significant temperatures are withstanding - 450 and 300 degrees, respectively.
Exposure to Shrinka
Shrinkage implies Sleeping, sliding, decrease in volume and sizes Material after a period of time due to the impact of moisture, vibration, wind, seals under their own mass, etc. If the material is susceptible to the shrinkage to a high degree, then you should wait Education of voids in the wall "Pie" and deterioration of the thermal insulation of the building.
Material flame retardant basalt OBM-50 1500x500x50mm. Photo Maxidom
Basalt wool due to the chaotic location of the fibers Not subject to shrink . What can not be said about Glasswater. In terms of competent installation, the insulation will last long time, but over time it will still give shrinkage. The impact of moisture on slag leads to the formation of mold, fungus, therefore the probability of shrinkage is not such an important problem.
And basalt, and glass gamble to completely environmentally friendly materials , there are no harmful components and / or allergens. Danger for respiratory organs can represent binding components - resins. As part of materials meet Two types of resin - arbolo-carbamide which is absolute safe for human health, and formaldehyde When heated, it highlights a small amount of substances capable of bringing harm, as a result, the body does not notice them. Thus, both material can be used to insulate any element of the house or apartment.
But as part of slag wool Present phenolformaldehyde resins having toxic components (phenol formaldehyde), but their concentration is minimal (if we consider quality materials). However, the attitude to the binding components of this type is ambiguous, and when compared, slag with analogs, the composition of the first in accordance with the safety for a person clearly loses.
Resistance to mold, fungus, rodents
Basalt and Glass Wool are not the basis for the development and growth of microorganisms : Mold and fungus. Slag insulation (with proper operation) It is also not subject to rotting and formation of fungus. But the relationship with rodents is complex materials. Despite the assurances of some sources about the ability of mineral insulation to resist rodents, this is not true. Rodents do not start in insulation, but Make passes and houses in materials. Therefore, when insulation of foundations and ground floors, it is recommended to pay attention to alternative options.
Sound insulation properties
Mineral materials effectively solve the problem not only heat, but also sound insulation. Exist The two terms that allow you to characterize basalt cotton wool and its analogues:
- Sound absorption - An indicator demonstrating the value of the reduction of the sound wave energy when interacting with the material is expressed in the sound absorption ratio - AW, which takes values from 0 to 1, the closer to one, the higher the efficiency. The coefficient depends on the thickness of the product and the density of the fitting of the material to the base. Thus, the coefficient for basalt wool fluctuates from 0.75 to 0.95, Glass - 0.8-0.92 slagova - 0.75-0.82.
- Soundproofing - The characteristic measured in decibels demonstrates how much the sound level will decrease when passing through the surface with the insulation. Basalt wool absorbs up to 57 dB noise The fiberglass air noise insulation index is 47 dB.
Elasticity - an indicator that Depends on the strength of the material to bend. Basalt and slag wool This parameter is low, while trying to insulate the embossed surfaces Materials will break and crumble . Therefore, for insulation of pipes, manufacturers produce cylindrical basalt insulation. But glass gaming characterized by flexibility and elasticity, Therefore, it can be successfully used when working with any structural elements. As a result, glass gamble does not have competitors among mineral insulation when working with complex surfaces with surfaces.
Convenience of mounting, brushing and skin irritation
The technology of laying mineral insulation is different depending on the variety of material, but on the type of "processed" surface. Cutting insulation is performed equally easily It is possible to use a knife or hacksaw. Therefore, it is difficult to mention the favorite.
Thermal insulation of the pipe with basalt (stone) wool. Photo Superatov
However, when performing work with basalt cotton It is recommended to use protection Because of small particles allocated in the air, with glass and slag - it is is a prerequisite For respiratory organs, a respirator is needed, for organs of vision - glasses, open areas of the body need to close with a dense cloth, hands protect gloves. This is due to the packaging of materials that can cause allergic reactions and inflict injury. Thus, the independent installation of any of the mineral materials Requires caution But when working with stone wool to a lesser extent.
Operating temperature range
This parameter affects the scope of application, which structural elements may be insulated, for example, surfaces located near the heat source, equipment, radiators, boilers. Operating temperature range:
- For basalt wool ranges from -270 to +900 degrees;
- Glasswater - from -60 to +450, with +500 fibers begin to shine and lose their properties;
- The maximum temperature for slag is +250, with values above the material begins to melt and also loses insulating properties.
As a result, the leader in this aspect is the stone insulation.
What better to choose and what cases
After familiarization with the pros and cons, the characteristics of the materials it is possible to determine which material is the optimal solution in different situations. Glasswater is recommended to use For insulation of elements of the building operating in dry conditions. The material is suitable for mansard insulation, balconies and loggias, apartment walls, the density should be from 11 to 30 kg / cubic meters.
Basalt Wool for bath
Basalt wool is intended To work with roofing, density - 100-120 kg / cubic meters; facades of buildings and walls bath - from 20; Special foil materials are relevant when creating an obstacle in the event of a fire - from 200.
The choice of materials will facilitate manufacturers who offer materials with a special purpose, i.e. To solve specific tasks. Present in the range of enterprises and universal materials.
Manufacturers of insulation
Buyers are provided with a wide range of thermal insulation materials. Leading enterprises, such as Rockwool, Isover, Izovol, TechnoNikol and others, use high-quality raw materials, the latest equipment and unique manufacturing technologies, which ensures that the highest standards compliance. Features, advantages and disadvantages of products of large companies are presented separately.
Basalt insulation isover frame house. Source photo here
Comparison with other materials
Potential buyers are interested in the characteristics of not only the three above varieties of insulation. The properties of basalt wool are often compared with the parameters are equated, the penplex, foam, polyurethane foam, etc. Detailed analysis of the most sought-after materials is presented in a separate publication.
Where can I buy
Find out in the list of offers companies and suppliers, some are presented here, perhaps on the websites of enterprises.
To build a house, you must purchase a lot of different materials, and each of them requires T T. spare selection. There are no exceptions to this issue and thermal insulation materials. Today manufacturers offer a large range of insulation, but many household owners in B. Sore prefer to stop your choice on one of the types of mineral wool. Therefore, they often arise the question of the basalt insulation or Minvata. what's better?
Basalt insulation or minvata what is better
The question, let's say, not quite correct. The fact is that the concept " Mineral Wat. "Includes including Basaltova her A variety, and such opposition will be incorrect. Therefore, probably, it is worth dealing with what is generally mineral wool, consider each of her species and details to learn their characteristics. Based on such comparisons and it will be possible to make a choice in favor of one or another variety.
What is mineral wool?
According to GOST 31913-2011 (European standard —EN ISO 9229: 2007) "Materials and thermal insulation products. The terms and definitions of mineral are considered the following materials:
- Stone wool, she is also basalt - made from melt rocks.
- Glass wool - produced from molten glass.
- Slag cotton wool - produced from waste of metallurgical and mining and processing enterprises, from the melts of a domain slag.
The concept of "mineral wool" includes a few of its varieties
Such thermal insulation material consists of thin fibers - their thickness depends on the raw materials from which they are made. Fibers can be layered horizontally, vertically or have a spatial or corrugated structural location. Any kind of such thermal insulator has a sufficiently high resistance to elevated temperatures, well saves heat and protects the house from external noise. But according to the effectiveness of insulation, in terms of chemical impact resistance and on other important parameters between them can be quite Serious Differences.
Today the construction market presents a large number of options for modern Mineralovate Heaters with improved technical characteristics, under different names, but also made on the basis of traditional raw materials.
Mineral wool applications:
- Outdoor and internal insulation of unloaded vertical, horizontal and inclined enclosing structures in all types of buildings.
- Thermal insulation of ventilated hinged facades.
- Multilayer thermal insulation in the form of sandwich panels with outdoor and deposited between Layers Metal trim.
- Production Sandwich structures For chimneys.
- Heat insulation of industrial equipment - Pipelines various destinations, tanks, gas — и oil pipelines и etc. .
- Warming and soundproofing of flat roofs and rafal structures of roofs, as well as ceilings and walls in private residential and utility buildings, including in the baths.
The use of mineral wool is regulated by GOST, which stipulates permissible synthetic binders for material fibers for a particular application.
It must be noted that individual manufacturers make insulation on their own technical conditions, in this case, on the package instead of Art Art AVATI Designation T. . When Observing, such materials should be done special attentiveness - deviations from standards are often allowed, which reduce the performance of the insulation. Anyway It should always be familiar with the certificates of quality, sanitary and fire conformity, which manufacturers must accompany their products.
Criteria for the choice of mineral wool
Having understood what materials refer to the definition of "mineral Vata. "You need to define the criteria that the insulation must match for a residential building or, for example, insulation for walls inside the house at the cottage . The fact is that not all of them are fully suitable for this purpose.
So, thermal insulation material, (for example, installed by the Minvat under Siding) must have the following qualities:
- Environmental purity, that is, the material should not be dangerous to human health:
— Minvata. should not be released toxic substances during installation, nor during the operation of the building;
- The material should not cause allergic reactions and diseases associated with them.
- Fire safety. The insulation must be non-flammable, self-fighting, not to highlight a large amount of smoke when exposed to high temperatures and open Fire .
- Low thermal conductivity, that is, the maximum preservation of the accumulated heat in the insulated room. The lower the thermal conductivity, the higher the quality of thermal insulation.
The material density should not be too high, since excessively dense material has an increased degree of thermal conductivity, and .In fact, there will be no insulation of the walls. Good thermal insulation can be obtained only from porous material, in which there is a kind of "airbag" that contributes to the holding of heat.
Gigroscopicity should also be as low as possible, as any insulation that actively absorbs moisture, quickly loses its thermal insulation properties. In addition, moisture contributes to the development of colonies of microflora - mold, fungus and T.P. .
The durability of the material should ensure the long-term operation of the insulation without its damage and decomposition into the components.
Material must well Soundproof Room from external noise. This is especially important when the house is nearby from lively Route or railway highway.
An important factor is the technology of installation of material. therefore To stay on defined An option, you need to study the process of its laying and make an acceptable choice. This moment is especially important if the owner of the house will carry out insulation on its own.
How to determine the degree of fire hazard heat insulator?
Separately, it must be said about how to determine the flammability of the heat-insulating material, since this question is worried about most acquirers.
The fibers themselves of any mineral wool are not combustible, but to create insulated canvases or blocks can Synthetic binders —Phenol formaldehyde resins that are able to withstand the temperature only at 300 ÷ 350 degrees without prejudice to the insulation. With increasing these parameters, the destruction of the binding components begins.
- Since the insulation must be non-combustible or, In extreme cases , self-fighting, when purchasing it, you must definitely pay attention to the labeling, which must be on the package. It is indicated by combustibility with numbers and letters - r1, g2, g3 and g4. Accordingly, the numbers go in the increasing - if M1 denotes a weak flammability, then G4 indicates that it is faster and intensively combustible material.
In the event that the insulation has in sore Composition Antipiren And absolutely not a fuel, on the package there is a designation NG .
- The danger of some insulating materials containing binding resins consists not only in their flammability, but also in creating them when exposed to open fire of strong smoke. This parameter also has regulation and Digid-letter Designation: from D1 to D3.
- Equally important to consider and yet One parameter of fire safety —This is the rate of possible spread of fire. The manufacturer must specify this indicator on the packaging letters. RP and numbers from 1 to 4. respectively, the designation RP1 says that what The flame does not apply if there are no flammable materials nearby, and RP4 Indicates that what When burning insulation, the fire can quickly spread all over the room.
Why all this says, because it would seem, mineral wool in this respect should be completely safe? Again, we return to GOST and TU - on the established state standards - there are no questions. But with that should be caution.
Do not hesitate to ask certificates for insulation, especially those produced
therefore When buying insulation, it is necessary to carefully examine the packaging, where the characteristics of the material are indicated. If there are no such, then from such a heat insulator is better to refuse and contact more reliable The seller, since health and even the life of households may depend on this data.
Mineral wool —Technical and operational characteristics
Now, knowing the criteria for which you need to pay special attention when Fainting the heat-insulating material, it is worth considering each of the types of mineral wool.
|Name of parameters||Shagkovat||Glasswater||Stone (basalt) wool|
|Middle Fiber Diameter, MKM||from 4 to 12||from 5 to 15||from 4 to 12|
|Material hygroscopicity for 24 hours (no more),%||1.9||1.7||0.095|
|The coefficient of thermal conductivity, W / (M × ° K)||0.46 ÷ 0.48.||0.038 ÷ 0.046||0.035 ÷ 0.042|
|Sound absorption coefficient||from 0.75 to 0.82||from 0.8 to 92||from 0.75 to 95|
|The presence of a binder,%||from 2.5 to 10||from 2.5 to 10||from 2.5 to 10|
|Flavoring material||NG - non-combustible||NG - non-combustible||NG - non-combustible|
|Selection of harmful substances when burning||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Heat capacity, j / kg × ° K||1000.||1050.||1050.|
|Elasticity,%||no data||no data||75.|
|Sintering temperature, ° С||250 ÷ 300.||350 ÷ 450.||600.|
|Length of fibers, mm||16||15 ÷ 50.||16|
|Chemical stability (weight loss),% in water||7.8.||6.2||4.5.|
|Chemical stability (weight loss),% in alkaline medium||7||6||6.4.|
|Chemical stability (weight loss),% in the acidic environment||68.7||38.9||24.|
I would like to pay attention to the fact that in this table, in the column "flammability" is the designation of NG. However, it must be remembered that non-combustible insulation remains until the moment until the temperature reaches defined Critical line (pay attention —Each variety of material has its own upper limit of permissible heating. ).Then the binders may be ignited, so it is impossible to say that mineral wool is completely non-combustible.
Based on this table, it is necessary to consider the qualities of various types of mineral wool more, as "dry numbers" sometimes not quite accurately can tell about the insulation.
Prices for mineral wool Knauf
Mineral Wat Knauf.
Fibers for manufacture Glasswater produced out Glass Fight and sand, which are melted at a temperature mode at 1400 ÷ 1500 degrees. When melting and stretching fibers, their thickness is obtained only in 4 ÷ 15 μm, and their length is 15 ÷ 50 mm. Thanks to this, the insulation mats are durable and elastic.
Blocks glass gaming
Positive quality material:
- The advantages of glass gambles include high resistance to chemical influences. When carrying out the right installation, the material is not subject to rotting and appearance in Nem. Foles of mold.
- Compared to other types of mineral wool, fiberglass do not complain rodents, so do not suit in Nem. yourself housing in the form Nor It is very important if a private house or a balcony of the first floor is insulated.
Warming of the outer wall glass
- The glass gamble is more affordable than basalt insulation, which can be explained by the availability of raw materials and the simplicity of manufacturing process.
- A packed insulation has a compact size and a small weight, so it is easy to transport it to a construction site and easily raise on high floors. When removing the packaging material, the glass gamble is painted and takes natural dimensions.
- Since the insulation has a small weight, he is not gives Large load on attic overlap, roofing or walls.
- The impact of the structural structure of glass gambles contributes to low thermal conductivity, which will protect against heat leakage.
- The glasswater density can vary from 11 to 30 kg / m³. In order to The insulation "worked" properly, it is necessary to choose the correct density of the material in each case.
- for example, for sound —and thermal insulation of partitions, rafting systems of roofs and walls from within the building, you need to use glass gambler, having a density of 15 kg / m³.
- If the building is insulated outside, then the density should be at least 30 kg / m³. In this case, it is better to choose varieties reinforced with fiberglass cloth, which protect the insulation from blowing fibers and hardens the mats.
- The canvas and blocks are fairly racks for fire. The melting of the binding elements occurs at a temperature of above 350 ÷ 400 degrees and the material changes the structure, loses its heat and sound insulation properties.
- The material is rather elastic, which is extremely convenient when the structures of the wrong shape, as well as when installing the insulation between metal profiles.
Negative quality glass gambles:
- To one of the main drawbacks of this material, the fragility and the fragility of its fibers can be attributed, the sharp edges of which it is easy to penetrate through the cloth, traumating the skin. As microscopic fiber pieces are very lungs , They can get into the respiratory tract or into the mucous membranes of the eyes.
This indicates ,that the installation of such thermal insulation material should be carried out, protection in B. CE Open parts of the body, putting gloves and a suit of dense fabric. Eyes protect special glasses, and the respiratory tract is a respirator.
Laying such a insulation requires compliance with special precautions
After completing the installation work related to glass, all the clothes and mittens must be immediately thrown away.
- Yet one disadvantage of this insulation that It is manifested in the process of its operation - this is a gradual shrinkage of the material. The glass refers to amorphous materials, and its fibers are crystallized over time and glued up, which makes mats thinner and less in size. Naturally, this proce SS VL Follows the quality of the insulation of the walls - it decreases significantly.
- Since the binding fibers include phenol formaldehyde resins that are harmful to humans, The most important thing The disadvantage of the insulation can be called the constant release of these substances into the air of the premises. Moreover It will not be able to destroy them, while on the walls are plain mats.
Stone (basalt) wool
Basalt insulation produce from Gabbro-basaltova , Metamorphic rock and Mergeli, who are close to each other in composition.
Stone wool has good resistance to elevated temperatures and low thermal conductivity. The stone fibers themselves are able to withstand the heating to 850 ÷ 1000 degrees, but the binders for them are the same phenol formaldehyde resins, which, as you know, withstand the heating only to a temperature of 350 ÷ 400 degrees, therefore, when they burn, basalt fibers disintegrate.
Basalt fibers in their manufacture acquire a length of not more than 50 mm, and their thickness is about 5 ÷ 7 μm. After processing fibers with binders and molding, blocks or mats are passed twice through the press with simultaneous heating up to 300 degrees.
Prices for basalt wool Rockwool
Mineral wool Rockwool.
The positive qualities of this insulation is quite a lot, therefore usually from three Mineral wool species are more often a basalt thermal insulator:
- The low thermal conductivity of the material is achieved by the chaotic content of the fibers, and the fact that they are laid in numerous layers, so that the structure of mats is sufficiently air.
Coefficient T T. The region conductivity of basalt wool is 0.035 ÷ 0.042 W / (M × ° К), which corresponds to the heat-insulating properties of extruded polystyrene foam or foamed rubber .
- The density of basalt insulation is much higher than that of glass gamns, and is from different samples from 60 to 90 kg / m³ (in some types – even more). But this density does not affect the thermal insulating properties.
- Practically zero hygroscopic stone wool allows you to exploit her long time without loss her Initial thermal insulation qualities.
- The structural structure does not allow moisture to penetrate inside the insulation, and So in its thicker do not get the development of putrefactive processes and does not appear mold (both, in the event of an occurrence, dramatically reduce the insulation qualities of any porous material ).
One of the main advantages is high water hydrophobicity
Justice should be noted what Basalt Wat still absorbs moisture, but this figure is so insignificant (about 0.095% in 24 hours), what Gigroscopicity can be considered almost zero.
- Parry permeability. Whatever density has a basalt insulation, it is breathable material, that is, the minimum amount of moisture, which falls into the insulation along with the air, is not delayed inside and does not forms condensate. This quality allows you to use basalt wool for insulation of rooms with high humidity, such as saunas or baths. Parry permeability of stone wool is 0.2 ÷ 0.3 mg / (m × h × pa).
- High resistance to fire, so in the above table, the stone wool is characterized as a non-combustible insulation. However, you need to remember the binders present in the heat insulator.
- Basalt wool is excellent Noise insulator And it is capable of drowning sound waves passing inside the walls. This quality is especially useful for insulation and creating noise insulation apartments in panel houses, as building structures have inside the cavity and reinforcement elements, well conductive sound oscillations.
- Strength material attaches Multi-layered and proce SS Pr. Essels with its manufacture. Therefore, even the lowest density of basalt wool does not reduce its resistance to high loads. Due to this, the material is little pronounced deformation and does not change its size throughout the entire period of operation.
- Stone fibers racks for chemical and biological effects and are not affected by mold and various microorganisms.
Basalt insulation - very comfortable in the installation
- Ease Material installation is explained by the strict "geometry" of blocks and the absence of a large number of stuffed fibers. But precautions to accept Still need to — Recommended Protect hands, eyes and respiratory tract.
Negative sides of basalt insulation
- As if neither convinced Manufacturers that basalt wool is absolutely safe - this is not quite so. It is as well as glass gamble, can be distinguished toxic substances throughout the entire life, as the fibers are connected with a phenol formaldehyde resin, the evaporation of which is dangerous to human health. The question is how large the concentration of such components - never We will not Read the certificate of sanitary conformity of the acquired material.
- Unlike the glass gamblers, the basalt insulation is pleasure to use rodents for housing, so it is necessary to provide in advance and protect the walls of the private house with a backfill around it at a distance of 500 ÷ 700 mM clamzite of the shallow fraction, the thickness of the layer of which should be at least 80 mm. Here this insulating material of rodents accurately bypass, as it has no density, simply speaking, they are just in Nem. "Sound".
- Stone wool has a fairly high price compared to glass.
Video: Review of basalt mineral wool " TechnoNIKOL »
This type of insulating material is made from a domain slag. The fibers are slaging have a length of 14 ÷ 16 mm, and a thickness of 5 ÷ 10 μm.
Slag - disadvantages more than advantages
Such a heater is able to withstand the maximum temperature only at 285 ÷ 300 degrees, which is much lower than that of other types of mineral wat. If the specified threshold is exceeded, the fibers are sintered, and it almost completely loses its thermal insulation qualities.
The material is very hygroscopic, that is, quickly drinks moisture, which too leads to the loss of its main sound —and heat insulating properties, and inside Mato in B. Mold and rot may appear.
In addition, rodents calmly settle in this material, arranging in Nem. nests and moves. It is especially important to consider if the insulation is chosen for a private house.
When installing, slag, as in the first two cases, it is necessary to protect the skin, respiratory tract and eyes from entering small stragging fibers. In this case, they are not so numerous as the glass gamble, but in order to get skin irritation, several such a zoom.
In addition, a residual is present in the composition of slag acidity , therefore, if you apply this material for outdoor insulation or indoors with high humidity, it will aggressively affect on Metal parts walking next to him, including the reinforcing belt of insulated structures. Hence, the conclusion that equipped with slag thermal insulation for pipes is absolutely not suitable for the insulation of water and sewer pipes.
Tse on slag —significantly lower than on glass or basalt cotton wool. However, you should not choose her it is on this criterion, since not only money can be spent in vain, but also such insulation is capable Really To harm the health of the tenants of the apartment or at home.
Prices for mineral wool Ursa Terra
Mineral Wat Ursa.
Basalt mineral wool brands
So, the indisputable leader in operational qualities is still basalt insulation. Despite the increased cost, maternity owners Choose it. However, we should not forget and yet About one criterion to pay attention to when choosing. Speech Gone On the density of a specific type of material, since the scope will depend on this parameter This Heat insulator.
|Brand of insulating plate||Material density, kg / m³||Scope for insulation|
|Light plates||30 ÷ 40.||Inner surfaces of walls, partitions, ceilings, pitched roofs, pipelines of various focus (water supply, sewage, gas highway, etc.)|
|Soft plates - p75||75.||Attic floors, attic space, inter-storey floors, horizontal unloaded surface floors|
|Semi-rowers - p125||125.||Horizontal enclosing structures, floors, ceilings.|
|Hard Plates - P175||175.||Horizontal and vertical enclosing structures, roofs and facades|
|High rigidity plates - PPG200||200.||Roofs (under waterproofing flooring from rolled and mastic materials), plastering and ventilated facades.|
When going to acquire one or another type of mineral wool, you need to carefully examine the packaging and check whether GOSTs that must be met during the production process are indicated:
Mineral wool in plates
- Mineral wool plates - GOST 9573-96.
Firmware with foil
- Mats are firmware from mineral wool - GOST 21880-94.
Mineral cooker plates of high rigidity - PPG
- Plates elevated Stiffness (PPH) - GOST 22950-95.
Knowing all the information about the varieties of mineral wool, it will be quite possible to decide Suitable Whether they are for insulation of the house or his area. In any case, if it is even decided to purchase another heat-insulating material, it is also worth carefully studying its specifications.
Alternative to Mineral Wath - Extrusion polystyrene foam
In some cases, the use of mineral wool is inappropriate or even impossible. Synthetic insulation comes to the rescue, among which the most used is polystyrene foam. About physical and operational properties " Penoplax », one of the most popular varieties Extrusion Polystyrethyol - in a special publication of our portal. Wilo circulation pumps We read on our website.
The problem of thermal insulation of housing is one of the main and during the construction or reconstruction of the building, and already in the process of its operation. An estate owner knows that effective insulation is far from only the provision of a comfortable microclimate in the premises. The operating costs are significantly reduced, and the house itself becomes much more durable.
Minvata or basalt wool? We understand that it is better for housing insulation.
In modern abundance of thermal insulation materials, inexperienced person is easy to get confused. Nevertheless, almost anyone who do not ask, knows about the presence of fibrous insulation, for a certain external similarity hereinafter referred to as "Vata". But there are several such materials - they differ in their basis, and possibly by other basic characteristics. Therefore, often in the network search, there are requests that the Minvat and Basalt Wat differ among themselves? We understand that it is better for the insulation of a residential building.
In order in definitions!
To have the possibility of a truly subject conversation, it should be clarified with the further use of terminology. And she, if judged by the title title - very far from correctness.
I wonder how you would find a response, for example, if you ask such a question: "What is better - a car or a light machine?" Or, take even more paradoxical: "What do you like more - trees or birch?" Surely you look at the question asking such a question with someleep and, perhaps, "twist your finger at the temple."
Meanwhile, these issues of the issue are not absurd of the fact that the article is put in the title! Do not believe, do you think I just decided to "wisely"? Well, let's turn to the original source, and go through the chain of definitions to the moments you are interested in.
In this case, the source will perform GOST 31913-2011 .
The standard has the status of interstate, or rather, it can be considered a Russian-speaking version of the European Standard EN ISO 9229: 2007 . And for those used in it, the international name (in English) has been indicated even in the Russian edition.
Paragraph 2.1.13 - It combines all varieties of fibrous insulation.
"Thermal insulation material consisting of natural or artificially obtained fibers." In the English editor, "FIBROUS Insulation".
It is clear that natural fibers (cotton, linen, pulp, etc.) in this case are not interested. But minerals - they are negotiated separately.
Paragraph 2.1.15 - Under a collective manner of mineral fiber (England "Mineral Fiber") hide all the fibers of inorganic nature, with the exception of metal.
To him - subparagraph 22.214.171.124 - Obtaining artificial mineral fiber (eng. "Man-Made Mineral Fiber", to which you belong to what is obtained in industrial conditions from glass melts, rocks, slags, clays, oxides of metals, etc.
But now - closely, that is, literally literally approach our problem.
Paragraph 2.1.16. Directly talks about the concept of "mineral wool" (eng. Mineral Wool or Abbreviation MW). Under this term, fibrous thermal insulation materials obtained from glass melts, rocks or slags are understood. And then there are three subparagraphs, to the end opening the whole picture:
126.96.36.199 - Glass wool (eng. Glass Wool) - obtained mainly from glass combat melts or natural quartz sand.
188.8.131.52 - Stone Vata (English "Rock Wool" or "Stone Wool") - from melts of rocks of volcanic origin.
184.108.40.206. - slag wool (eng. "Slag Wool") - obtained from the melts of domain slags.
So you can put a point in the dispute - so what is better, mineral or stone (basalt)? There are still ambiguities about the incorrect matter of the issue remained?
And if you hold "disassembly", then rather in such a way - which of the mineral wat is better to be used for housing insulation: stone wool, glass gamble, or slag? And here, I must say, "leadership" one of the listed insulation is clearly traced. This can be displayed here such a kind of rating.
What criteria are insulation for home?
Where exactly can the mineral wool can be used as thermal insulation? Yes, in principle, on any plot of construction, as well as in the production of building materials.
You can list the main applications:
- This includes the insulation of any not loaded enloading construction structures of a vertical, horizontal or inclined location (there are skeleton structures).
- It perfectly shows itself this material when insulating facades, and - in several fundamentally different technologies (ventilated and "wet" facade).
- Perhaps not to find anything better for insulation of the roofing rods or (and) indoors.
- Mineral wool is widely used for the production of wall sandwich panels, as well as sandwich pipes for chimneys.
- Some modern types of mineral wool high density are fully suitable and for insulation of floors, there is a tie or flat roofing, that is, able to "work" in conditions of serious compression loads.
- Mineral wool is widely used for thermal insulation of technological equipment and engineering communications.
Naturally, if the thermal insulation material "starts" in a residential building, the owners would not hurt to know which criteria they appreciate it, and with what risks they will have to put up.
- First of all, the insulation must be maximally safe from the point of view of ecology. That is, not to allocate in the environment for some toxic products, it does not cause allergic reactions. It must be said that not all mineral wats are safe for these criteria.
Support the development of the channel! Subscribe to us to write useful articles for you!
Many manufacturer continue to use in the manufacture of mineral wool binders containing phenol formaldehyde resins. The use of such insulation in residential buildings is extremely undesirable. It should always be focused on products that have an indicator of emission not higher than E1. And even better - to acquire thermal insulation of the modern type, in which safe-safe acrylic resins are used as a binder.
By the way, it is impossible to say that some type of mineral wool has an advantage in this matter. Both among basalt insulation, and among glass gambles, both perfectly clean products can meet both, and those in a residential building are extremely undesirable.
- The second most important criterion is the durability of the material to the fire, the way it behaves in extreme conditions of the fire. And unlike, let's say, the synthetic thermal insulation of the polystyrene group - any mineral wool is much more successful. Not all types - in the same extent, but still ...
- It is quite fair to expect from the insulation of his "professional qualities", that is, expressed low thermal conductivity. Mineral Watts are quite pretty safe. Different types have their own nuances, but overall the material after properly performed laying shows the thermal conductivity coefficient of about 0.04 ÷ 0.045 W / (M ℃), which is considered a very worthy result. Comparable with other efficient insulation.
- Gigroscopicity - enemy insulating qualities! That is, the low thermal conductivity of the material may increase dramatically due to the saturation of its moisture. And I must say, not all types of mineral wool are the same in this regard.
- In continuation of the topic - the stability of the forms and durability of the material, its resistance to external influences. This refers to the loss of the insulation structure due to the helling caused by insufficient elasticity, the high fragility of the fibers, the instability of the material to a particular chemical environment, biological damage. It cannot be said that with this all types of minvati be safe.
- Many insulation are also famous for the fact that they are good noise absorbers. And in particular, mineral wool is a good confirmation. Almost any of its type can be used as sound insulation.
- Finally, any material is always evaluated by the convenience of its use. In particular, when the problem of thermal insulation of their housing is decided to do their own.
Mineral wool in this regard is not the best reputation, although some "dangers" many modern types are practically unusual. But still, working with such insulation with bare hands (and the Internet is overflowing with such eloquent photo examples) - still not recommended.
Well, now let's see what and how we are with the above three major types of mineral wool already mentioned above.
General properties of mineral fibrous insulation
So far, they have not moved to the consideration of the "personal deeds" of each type - literally a few words for some characteristics. More precisely, according to their correct perception.
- For example, the heat resistance of these insulating materials. For all indicators, basalt wool wins! Glasswater with 500 degrees Celsius is already all hiding, but Stone - still will remain flat ...
Fullness! .. These parameters may have a certain value when planning thermal insulation of some technological equipment. But for housing? Believe that if the walls of your home for some reason are warm up to a temperature of 500 degrees (and this can only be in reality during a catastrophic fire!), The least of all you will be frustrated by the fact that "glass gamble".
- According to thermal conductivity coefficients - almost parity, with a very small separation in favor of insulation from basalt fibers. Yes, and that is, rather, due to the greater "spatial stability" of a material, a smaller tendency to shrink, and not because "stone fibers are warmer" (swear, met on the Internet and so ...).
- All materials are positioned as non-combustible. And in principle, you can agree with this. The network is a lot of videos walking, as using a directional flame of the gas burner, it is still possible to cause some kind of combustion (more similar to it), and then this is the thermal decomposition of the binder, and not the fibers themselves.
That is, they are afraid that mineral wool suddenly lights off from the spark or from the short circuit of wiring - it is unlikely seriously. Rather, it will serve attenuating the focus, if such tries to arise.
- The stability of mineral wool to water, to chemically active media, is also a little about what the speaker parameters. This is meant - it is in the field of housing insulation. The fact is that thermal insulation will be really effective and durable, if contact with such an environment is in principle impossible. This should be provided for in the most insulating structure, for example, using special waterproofing or vapor barrier membranes.
Well, now - let's look at the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
We understand with each type personally!
Metallurgical technologies suggest huge deposits of a domain slag - almost empty integrated rock. Tercons of such slag - almost the "business card" of large metallurgical plants. The problem of recycling these waste is largely solved by the production of various building materials, including fibrous insulation.
For this slags are subjected to melting in special furnaces. And then the melt is pulled out thin fibers, which subsequently, with the use of binders, are formed into blocks or mats. At the exit - the same insulation that is called slag cotton.
It is said that once she completely prevail among fibrous insulation, as it was used extremely wide. But now she has popularity - striving for zero, and it is difficult to even assume that someone will let her alone in a residential building.
What is interesting is that this material is written a lot of negative (for all visibility - fairly), but even "admire" such a cotton is a whole problem. That picture is that above - it seems she, but came across the same with the signature that it was basalt insulation.
Anyway. Losing a lot of time on slag does not make sense - for the simple reason that it is unsuitable for insulation of housing.
We look at the advantages and disadvantages:
- To the only dignity of slag wool it is customary to attribute its low cost. By the way, another small remark will be below this topic.
- The slag wool, due to the high fragility of the fibers - quickly flies, loses in volume, and hence both in insulation qualities.
- Slotted very hygroscopic, requires reliable protection against moisture. Wrinking, simply ceases to be insulation - just like a wet rag.
- Slags from which the insulation is produced, usually have very high acidity. The contact of slag wool with metal structural parts is able to sharply activate corrosion processes. And in general, incomprehensible and unstable chemical composition is not what is needed for a residential building.
- In slag - the maximum number of binding formaldehyde group. And for its environmental friendliness, probably no one is fighting ...
- By the way, the domain slags are not always safe in terms of radiation background.
- In terms of work with it, slag is inconvenient - the fibers are fragile and stuck. Mandatory requires the use of reliable means of individual protection. Otherwise, skin irritation, or even worse - eyes and mucous membranes, will be provided!
It can be remembered and yet - but already said already, probably quite enough. We put on this insulation "Fat Cross"!
And - the promised remark.
Specially phoned all the leading construction stores in its city - there is no such wool anywhere. Glasswater - please, basalt - also the choice of several brands. And slag - even never covered. Another argument about the "popularity" of this insulation from private consumers.
The only one on the Internet there were offers - these are Ali Express, wholesale deliveries. Yes, and there is no way to exclude "the complexity of translation", since in many signs the proposed insulation is more like basalt.
So, we remain without an accurate reference point in the issue of value.
Raw materials for the production of this insulation can serve as natural material - quartz sand and glass waste. Everything is stripped into the smelting with the addition of special additives that give out of the melt in centrifuges with thin fibers of a certain elasticity that reduce the brittleness. The resulting fibrous mass is formulated first the web with a certain orientation of fibers. The following follows the processes of pressing and cutting on mats and slabs of certain sizes, other necessary technological operations.
As a result, the consumer sends packed insulation in various form of release. The most characteristic color of glass gambles - the variety of shades of yellow. However, there are exceptions - right up to the snow-white.
As already mentioned, it is behind the glass gambled "loop" of rumors associated with its increased allergenity, stitching, the ability to cause resistant serious irritations of skin cover and mucous membranes. Surely - this is not empty, and many of us remember the results of their children's "experiments" at construction site.
Support the development of the channel! Subscribe to us to write useful articles for you!
It is possible that such a glass gamble has still remained in the go. But today modern insulation materials are enjoyed today, with increased elasticity and elasticity of fibers, using absolutely safe acrylic resins as a binder.
The use of optimally selected raw materials, which has passed the cycle of special cleaning, the use of advanced production technologies allow many companies to produce effective insulation, which binds with the old familiar glass gamble, more than operational qualities.
Nevertheless, we will pass on the advantages and disadvantages of the material.
- Glasswater has traditionally high thermal insulation efficiency.
- The glass itself, in contrast to slags, is a chemically inert product, and will not be distinguished into the atmosphere of the premises of some harmful evaporation. There is a different deal - binders, here you need to be alert (this has already been mentioned).
- They say a lot about the fact that the glass gnish does not like rodents. Perhaps this is to some extent and so. Halfup - If the mice there is a choice, settle in glass gamble or in basalt cotton, they are likely to choose the last one. But, unfortunately, in insulation of the glass gamble, they perfectly do moves and arrange nests. Especially - in the timely, which is very close to the stone on its physical qualities.
- Glass wool light and elastic, subject to the precautionary rules - it is quite convenient to work.
- High vapor permeability will not give to formulate stagnation - with the correct arrangement of the insulation, it will be effectively ventilated.
- The cost of glass gambled is considered more affordable than its main competitor - basalt insulation. However, this difference in our time becomes more and more "blurred."
- Inherent in many brands glass grooves fibers, which has repeatedly been said.
- Due to the fact that the glass itself is considered not absolutely solid, but amorphous material, that is, gradually "flows", glass gamble is also inclined to lose gradually in volume, lifting. But, let's repeat, introducing special mineral supplements and with the "fluidity", and with the fragility of fibers, the manufacturers have learned to fight.
- It is rumored that glass gambles are not all safe with hygroscopicity. But this, too, now more depends on the quality of the product - some brands have been achieved almost hydrophobicity - they do not absorb moisture at all. Well, when assessing the insulation design, hydro and vaporizolation is definitely mandatory, and, regardless of which type of minvati is used.
The most famous manufacturers of thermal insulation based on glass fiber remains "URSA" и ISOVER . The reader can follow the links to the special items of our portal, given exactly these insulation materials - there will surely find a lot of interesting information.
In the title as if some contradiction is heard - "Stone Vata"! Meanwhile - all this must be taken almost literally - the raw materials for the manufacture of such a heater are stones. Not everything is definitely, and some rocks belonging to the gabbro-basalt group. However, these rocks are extremely common throughout the planet, so there is no lack of raw materials, in any case today.
Pull out of the melt of such rocks the finest fibers differ from glass or slag higher flexibility, elasticity, that is, they are not broken from the compressive load. And because the insulation acquires the structure, very similar externally and tactile with natural felt. But with all this, it remains a mineral material that is not subject to marking or rotting, nor other biodegradation.
The elasticity of the fibers is also confirmed by the fact that some brands of mineral wool after removing the package are capable of expanding, increasing in the amount of several times! A huge plus in terms of organization of storage and transportation of material, without losing insulation qualities!
In principle, the fibers flow from high strength and elasticity and all the advantages of mineral stone wool, distinguishing it from "competitors".
Interestingly, basalt wool can produce in a very wide range of densities. And many "heavy" insulation plates are fully copble with loads under the tie or in the design of a flat roof. And what is really wonderful - it does not evenly affect the insulation of the material.
So, not yet called the advantages and disadvantages of stone wool.
- Such cotton is the most comfortable in work (if you can express it). Yes, and in the course of further operation, if a really high-quality material was used, you can not be afraid of the appearance of small dust from breaking fibers.
- Judging by the characteristics, it still has the lowest thermal conductivity coefficient.
- It can be safely argued that such a insulation is the most durable among fibrous - manufacturers guarantee several decades of the "exaggeration service". Compared to others, it is the most "stress-resistant", that is, a variety of negative impacts without loss of its forms and qualities, for example, vibration
- The hygroscopicity of basalt wool is reduced to this minimum that it is possible, rather, to talk about the hydrophobicity of the material. And complements this quality high vapor permeability, guaranteeing the insulation ventilation.
- The elasticity of the fibers is excellent quality for effectively absorption of noise - sound oscillations simply "drown" in this structure.
- Fibers - fibers, but some brands of stone wool are still far from purity in environmental terms. Just due to the presence of an unsarted phenol formaldehyde binder. That is, if the owner really fights for a healthy atmosphere in his home, he will have to search the insulation brand on harmless binders. Such is a lot, but they are of course more expensive.
- Stone wool does not prick, comfortable in work ... Believe me, the mice are also very appreciated, and willingly arrange their nests there! So you have to come up with some "mechanical barriers" from penetration into the heater of rodents - metal mesh, claymzit fums, etc.
- The cost of basalt mineral wool is the most sensitive. However, some brands of modern glass gambled, as already mentioned, are located quite close to the price scale.
Manufacturers of high-quality basalt wool - a lot. On the pages of our portal there are deployed reviews on insulating materials companies. "Rockwool" , "Baswool" , "Knauf" .
Bonus: Express assessment of the necessary insulation thickness
The effectiveness of certain insulation materials is best evaluated, so to speak, quantitatively. That is, the indicator, the same layer of thermal insulation it will be sufficient. And if you have the opportunity to also make a comparison with other materials - it is generally wonderful.
And more reasonably - apply two-layer insulation. For example, the first layer of 50 mm. And then the second layer - put another 50mm, so that they completely overlap the joints between the first blocks. So almost completely eliminated the bridges of cold
Subscribe to the channel and do not miss how to do it with your own hands: A full description of step-by-step and photos, this article I will publish tomorrow 16.04.2020
Support the development of the channel! And we will send you a full typical project with size and layouts for free!
We have a request for you: Put like, share this article with three friends or close people, who is relevant to the topic of design and construction, subscribe to our channel and send an email to the post of [email protected], and we will send you a draft home ! For previously thanks to everyone who will actively participate!
Articles on construction:
Pyatno-ribbon foundation: optimal solution
Cons houses from glued timber: what marketers are silent
Air recovery will make your home warmer and that's why
The best project of the house with optimal layout.
Light house with garage and sauna 15x12 sq.m: convenient layout
Housekeeping project: 7x9 for not a big family
Insulation Technonol for the walls of 50 mm. 12 plates 600x1200 mm. Photo Lerua Merlen.
Until the time will come to understand for their economic needs, the difference between basalt and mineral wool is irrelevant. But even on the hearing of a person far from geology, there is some kind of catchment in the fact that basalt wool is different from mineral, "because basalt - mineral."
Well, put it, he is not a mineral, but the course of thoughts in general is true. Actually, the difference between the insulation basalt wool from mineral wool (Minvati) and there is a topic of this article. Lettuce points over I.
Basalt and mineral wool (Minvata): the difference between insulation
In logic there is an excellent demonstration of relations and species relationships: "All herring - fish, but not all fish are herring." With regard to our case it would sound like this: " basalt wool is mineral wool, but not all mineral wool from basalt "
In other words, if you take it without specifying simply "mineral wool", then one will buy one, and the other is another. All the same range of possible options is reduced to the three main:
- either it will be a stone wool;
- either it is glass groove;
- either slag.
In turn, the stone wool can be made of basalt as well as Other stones whose melting characteristics are suitable under the producer of the manufacturing process. For example, the basalt melting temperature is not higher than 1,200 degrees, and by a certain technology, you can melt everything that melts up to 1400, so other rocks are also suitable, for example, some Pyroxenites.
What is guided by the manufacturer? We think that the availability of water raw materials and the capabilities of their equipment.
However, the raw material for the manufacture of wool may be not only natural stone, but also Industrial products, For example, household glass or slag with metallurgical plants.
Technology will be the same, with their nuances, of course, but still. We describe the technology itself in This article . Here, let's say that for the manufacture of glass gambles and slag The power consumption of the system is significantly reduced, What makes them more profitable in production. Although the price is low.
What differ in the composition
Well, we probably need to agree that in the future we will imply under the mineral wool all of the above, In addition to basalt. This, of course, gives a certain variation of characteristics, but we will try to cope.
Structure of insulation basalt wool close-up. Photo Lerua Merlen.
So, what is the difference between basalt wool from mineral wool in composition? The composition of any mineral wool is Fiber и binder That is, glue that holds these fibers together in the canvas.
Fiber differ in composition depending on the used Raw: It can be a natural stone (basalt, a diorit, gabbro is the same thing, but it lies at different depths), a domain slag, silicate sand and a glass battle.
Concerning binder That no one informs the consumer about which substances are part of the binder. We just know that some variations are possible, judging by the fact that there are wats with low content Fenolov и formaldehyde, Designed for insulation baths, but in general this moment remains "for the scenes".
We managed to find out that the binding is usually used either phenolospirt, or bitumen. As for the phenolospirt, this is a condensation product of a formaldehyde mixture with phenol. The other substance is poisonous, and their mixture inherits the toxicity of both components. Make conclusions!
Above, we did not consider the qualitative characteristics of different types of mineral wat, do it now.
|Thermal conductivity W / (M * K).||0.46-0.48||0.032-0.048||0.041-0.043|
|Maximum use of use |
|Spear temperature |
|Heat capacity J / (kg * k)||1000.||500-1000||1050.|
|Binder (% )||2.5-10||2.5-10||2.5-10|
|Sound absorption coefficient (dB)||0.75-0.82||0.8-0.99||0.8-0.92|
|Vibration resistance||no||There is (long fiber)||there is|
|Heat resistance class||Ng (not lit)||NG||NG|
|Allocation of harmful substances||there is||there is||there is|
|Buckle||there is||no||there is|
Immediately warn you that the data is taken from open sources on the Internet. This means, in particular, and the fact that other sources can be found in which other numbers will be given. At the same time, neither ours nor other sources prevent these reference data to the test results or GOST, or reference materials for builders.
The fact that, regardless of the sintering temperature, all three types of Minvati are related to NG class , only says that they are all Do not support burning .
It should be noted that the manufacturer may be more important than the type of product acquired. Well-known manufacturers and glass gamble can be better than described above, characteristics, and the unknown manufacturer with that instead of guests in the certificate - and basalt wool will be low quality.
So we got to the question "What (as the insulation) is better: basalt wool or mineral wool (Minvata)?". You can only answer it if it is known, What are the goals choosing.
What are the goals
Rather not even goals, but Priorities Builder.
From the above table, it can be seen that three types of mineral wool differ from each other primarily by melting temperature, then by Price (It was not said about it, but we mentioned that cheap raw materials and low production temperatures reduce the cost, and after the market price), other characteristics may be important in a particular case: can be sought The least thermal conductory material, most vibration resistant (This affects the speed of its settlement), most comfortable When installing and operating ...
Insulation Tekhnonikol GreenGuard Uniser 50 mm 8 plates 600x1200 mm. Photo Lerua Merlen.
In general, if the goal prevent fire it is better to use basalt cotton wool, but also with it, and with other types of insulation still look at the combustibility of the facade material, as well as the presence of gaps between the facade material and the insulation - they can be needed for drying the insulation, but when combustion turns out Channels for which oxygen comes to the burning zone.
Where you have high temperatures - You are insulating the flue pipes, for example - use basalt fiber, and better - ceramic fiber.
Thermal conductivity Different types of mineral wool are not a constant. This range on which manufacturing technology is also affected, and the density of the finished insulation. Therefore, look at the packaging and compare the values from them.
If construction budget or it's about utility, non-residential premises (But not a bath), then you can save using slag or glass wool.
About the glass wool should be remembered for the protection during the installation of the eyes, the surface of the skin and respiratory organs. Her fibers are brittle and sharp.
With independent installation Preference again would have to give the basalt car - it is not stuck, safe, work easier and more convenient to work. But here everyone decides itself, which is more important - the price or convenience.
Water resistance There is no one of the types of Minvati. This means that when wetting, the insulation loses its heat insulating properties. Some of them are restored during drying, others are flattened from the action of water. And this may also depend more from the manufacturer than from the type of wool.
Best basalt wool or mineral wool
If not talking about specific manufacturers, and see first Properties that the insulation should have, it will be:
- minimum thermal conductivity from possible for this species;
- minimum amount of harmful binders;
- good vibration resistance, low shrinkage;
- High sintering temperature.
Let's say that minimal amount of harmful substances You can wait from the stone wool, which is intended For insulation baths and saunas . The corresponding mark is on the packages. (With elevated temperatures, binders in the larger volume evaporate into the air, so I had to make it possible to come up with cotton wool, which is not torturers.)
List basalt flame retardant 1200x500x5mm. Photo Maxidom
Concerning thermal conductivity You can find completely wonderful numbers on packages. You can only check them certificates That is, checks of product conformity.
The highest melting point - Stone wat. But we have information about the fact that the melting point of modern glass gambles is ... 1200 degrees. This is possible only if we are talking about borosilicate glass. But here is the question: and glass gamble from it exactly exists?
Vibration resistance That is, the resistance of the shrinkage from vibration is best among glass gamble, because it can have the longest fibers (until it breaks). However, the competition is "basalt super-thin fiber" - he and other characteristics are better than usual. Therefore, it is also worth paying attention to the labeling "Super Thrust" or by the Institute.
About producers of the best basalt wool or mineral wool we tell here This article .
Where can I buy
The sale of basalt wool specializes from companies presented in this section of our site. Suppliers offer